Tiling is a fun, effective way to add a touch of personality and sophistication to your living spaces. But unfortunately, it doesn’t take too long to run into a few obstacles along the way!
From uneven surfaces to tricky corners, your DIY tiling project can quickly become frustrating. But don’t worry! In this article, we’ll discuss the 5 most common tiling challenges and how to overcome them.
DIY Tiling vs. Hiring a Pro
Before we dive in, let’s address an essential question: “Should you tackle a tiling project on your own or hire a contractor?
To answer the question, consider the following:
- Your willingness to do the work: Tiling requires precision and attention to detail. It also involves using special tools and equipment to complete the job correctly. Finally, as you may have guessed—the job can get messy.
So, be honest with yourself: are you ready to roll up your sleeves or would you rather leave the dirty work to a professional.
- Your availability & time constraints: Regardless of the size, tiling a room can be time-consuming, especially if this is your first DIY project. Therefore, if you have a busy schedule, hiring a contractor may be the best option to ensure the project gets completed—and you get to enjoy your new tile sooner than later.
- Your total investment: Hiring a professional to tile your space can get costly. So, tackling the project yourself may be more cost-effective if you’re on a tight budget.
However, if the task of tiling will take you away from other essential responsibilities on your plate, it might be worth the investment to hire a pro to ensure it gets done on time and to the highest standards.
Top Tiling Challenges and How to Solve Them
Still leaning toward DIY? We’ve got you covered! Here are a few common challenges you may encounter and tips on how to address them.
Uneven surfaces in homes are not uncommon and can be caused due to various reasons, such as
- Settling of the foundation
- Natural wear and tear
- Poor construction
Additionally, older homes may have uneven surfaces due to their age and the natural shifting of the structure over time. Regardless of the cause, it’s important to address uneven surfaces before tiling to ensure a smooth and level surface for the tiles to adhere to.
The solution? A self-leveling compound, which is a liquid you pour onto uneven surfaces, will help create a smooth, level base for the tiles to sit on.
When it comes to tiling, we’d all love our rooms to be perfectly square, but if you’re dealing with irregular room shapes or existing fixtures that cannot be moved, you’ll likely encounter difficult corners that require a different approach to your tiling technique.
- One solution to this problem is to use a tile trim or bullnose tile to create a clean edge where the tiles meet.
- Another option is to cut the tiles to fit the corner precisely. Doing so can ensure a professional and seamless finish.
Cutting tiles to fit around objects like pipes and fixtures can be a challenging task, particularly when you do not have the appropriate tools.
- To ensure accuracy and neatness while cutting tiles, a tile cutter is indispensable.
- If you need to make curved cuts, a tile nipper can also come in handy.
Grout haze is a common issue that arises when grout is not properly wiped away after tiling, resulting in a dull film that’s hard to remove.
To avoid grout haze, be sure to wipe away excess grout using a damp sponge right after tiling. To remove grout haze that already exists, you can use a solution of water and vinegar or a commercial grout haze remover.
- Simply apply the solution to the affected area
- Let it sit for a few minutes
- Scrub the area with a soft-bristled brush
- Afterward, rinse the area with water to remove any residue.
Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using any commercial cleaning product.
Choosing the right tiles
Selecting the appropriate tiles for your project can be a challenging endeavor, as you’ll need to consider the tiles’ size, color, and texture to ensure that they harmonize with the overall design of the room.
The solution? Visit Tile X Design‘s showroom to browse our displays and collections of gorgeous tile designs that fit any application. You can stop in during normal business hours or request an appointment to enjoy a one-on-one consultation from a tile expert!
We’ll walk through your goals, dream design, budget, and more to ensure you’re ready to tackle your DIY tiling project like a pro.
Let’s Get to Work
Tiling can be a challenging process, but with the right tools and techniques, it can also be rewarding and empowering! By following these tips, you can overcome the most common tiling challenges and create a beautiful, professional-looking finish.